Our courses will put you on the road to a great future; we have developed our qualifications in partnership with industry professionals to ensure the knowledge you gain is not only relevant and current, but will set you apart in the workplace. Whether an elite athlete, sports enthusiast or potential inspirational coach, we can take your sporting journey to the next level with our range of qualifications and training. We’ve got commercial gyms, sports pitches and fantastic training partnerships including with Plymouth Argyle Football Club.
you would like a career in the health and fitness industry as a personal trainer; have a desire to set-up your own business or want to go onto university study.
English and mathematics Functional Skills at Level 2, or a Level 2 fitness or gym instructor qualification.
the knowledge, understanding and skills to work unsupervised as a personal trainer in sport and active leisure environments. You will also complete units to support your business development skills. Topics you will cover include:
- anatomy and physiology including the heart and circulatory system, the musculoskeletal system, the postural and core stability, the nervous, endocrine and energy systems and their relation to exercise and health.
- how to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults.
- how to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of health eating.
- how to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme.
- how to apply the principles of nutrition to support client goals as part of an exercise and physical activity programme.
- how to design, manage and adapt a personal training programme with apparently healthy adults of all ages.
- how to deliver exercise and physical activity as part of a programme for apparently health adults of all ages.
to be in college three to four days a week, complete employability workshops and work experience placements in college or outside. You'll also complete English and mathematics to a grade C if required and complete end of year exams.
working with a variety of participants, within real-life environments with the opportunity to gain additional qualifications as you study, such as Emergency First Aid Certificate.
employment in the industry as a fitness or gym instructor, or further specialist studies.
Mark Ferguson-Smith Team Lead - Sport
Mark is a Cornwall College alumni, studying sport along with other subjects at A-level, he was also captain of the football academy and vice-captain of the Cornwall schools under 18s football team. Before joining Cornwall College Mark taught PE in secondary schools, gained FA level 1 and youth award coaching status and he is on the selection panel for the Cornwall youth football team. He also plays golf to a handicap of 9.
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility.