This qualification is for anyone interested in a career working with land-based machinery, or boosting your existing skills and knowledge. You could be just starting out, or taking a break from a job to get some valuable training.
This level is ideal if you want in-depth insight into the mechanics and science for land-based engineering. You might cover things like inspecting and testing land-based machinery. You’ll also gain plenty of practical experience in your choice of skills.
Modern agriculture is amazing and if you look more closely you will see things that will truly impress you. No longer is this an industry caught in a technological backwater. The career opportunities are fantastic and those colleges, training providers and universities involved will tell you that the job opportunities are excellent with many more jobs than there are people to fill them.
There has never been a better time to consider working in the land based engineering sector. With the coming together (in what has become known as the “perfect storm”) of climate change, scarce water, ever increasing world populations and associated food shortages, not to mention insufficient energy resources, the need for the broad range of skills embodied in traditional land based (or agricultural) engineers has never been more evident.
Further reading on Land-based engineering:
you are looking for a career as an Agricultural Engineer or a Plant Engineer.
four GCSEs at grade C or 4, including English and maths.
the practical skills, working principles, maintenance and testing of land-based machinery, including installation, health & safety, servicing and repair.
- Principles of health and safety
- Undertake and review work related experience in the land-based industries
- Undertake specialist projects in the land-based sector
- Calculations for land-based service engineering
- Undertake land-based workshop processes
- Repair land-based compression-ignition (diesel) engines
- Repair land-based spark-ignition (petrol) engines
- Repair land-based vehicle systems
- Repair land-based electric systems
- Test land-based electronic systems
- Repair land-based hydraulic systems
- Repair land-based mechanical power transmission systems
- Repair land-based synchromesh transmissions and clutches
- Repair land-based powershift transmissions
- Repair land-based hydrostatic or hydro-mechanical (CVT) transmissions
- Repair land-based cultivation or drilling machinery
- Repair land-based application machinery
- Repair land-based forage harvesting machinery
- Repair land-based combinable or root crop harvesting machinery
to be continually assessed throughout the course with synoptic and theory tests.
immersing yourself in hands-on training.
employment or university study such as our FdSc Engineering.
Michael Bugden Land-based Engineering Diploma
"I wanted to get myself a trade and this was the best place to come, there's a lot of practical work and that makes it easier to learn. The tutors are good, it's just like having a friend: they're reliable, easy to talk to and if you've got a problem they're always straight there to sort it out. I'm a land-based engineering apprentice with Vincent Tractors and I'm keen to stay there working on getting more experience and one day hopefully go on my own."
*Courses listed on this website are indicative of the subject, nature and level of study. The college reserves the right to alter specific qualifications titles, awarding bodies and levels of qualification, which can change in year. Any cost may also vary, based on personal funding eligibility.