Where you live while you study is key to the success of your college experience. You need to ensure you are going to be happy in your surroundings. If you choose to move away from home, be assured we can help you every step of the way.


On Site Accommodation

Bicton College is home to over 200 students who live in warden supervised halls of residence for a mixture of FE and HE students. With support from 24 hour wardens, seven days a week and a dedicated accommodation team, Bicton College is a safe and enjoyable experience for under and over 18’s.

Living in on-site accommodation is a unique home away from home experience which is a brilliant way of meeting new friends and gaining confidence and independence. Access to a wide range of evening and weekend activities, a gym and ‘The Peacock’ our onsite student bar which offers a range of refreshments and snacks to suit all.

Bicton offers a range of room options for students including shared (under 18’s only), single study (own room with shared bathroom facilities), ensuite full catered, ensuite self catered (HE only). Packages of 3 nights, 4 nights or 5 nights (weekends free for those on 5 night packages) are available. We are also able to offer equine, agriculture and apprenticeship students duty rooms for a per night cost.

Each block has its own common room, which is equipped with fridge, freezer, microwave and kettle. The self catering block has the addition of a hob and oven (you will be expected to provide your own cookware, utensils & crockery).

Duchy College provides onsite accommodation for learners aged 18+ as well as students who need to stay for their duty weeks if they are on Equine and Agricultural programmes. (Please see Off site accommodation for Under 18 students). Although there is no on-campus accommodation for other under 18 full-time learners, we do provide a service which puts students in touch with private providers who offer accommodation locally in their own homes.

With just under 100 rooms available for over 18 FE, HE and Duty students including 10 self catering rooms for Higher Education Students, we have packages of 3 nights, 4 nights or 5 nights (weekends free for those on 5 night packages) are available.

You will make lifelong friends at Duchy College and our residential students are a close knit community; many of you will be experiencing life away from home for the first time so you’ll have lots in common. The dining areas and residents lounge are always buzzing.


Room Allocation

Room allocation is undertaken fairly and is designed to ensure maximum student enjoyment and access to the education students want.

Rooms are not allocated on a first come first served basis. We allocate rooms based upon individual student needs and where possible we aim to provide students their first choice of accommodation type.

However; we prioritise the following:

  • Students under 18s years old (Bicton Only)
  • Students who do not live within reasonable travelling distance to the College.
  • Students who require full-time, term time accommodation.
  • Students with a disability/support needs.
  • Returning students

We aim to accommodate students who may have specific and/or additional needs, however; there may be times when this is not within our physical capabilities. Please contact the Residential Team Lead to discuss requirements.

Please note the college is closed during half terms, Christmas, Easter and summer holidays, students may be required to empty their rooms and will not be able to stay under any circumstance during these periods.

How to apply for onsite accommodation: Contact, Maxine Bentley, Residential Team Lead for Bicton & Duchy College, maxine.bentley@cornwall.ac.uk 01395 562320.


Bicton Accommodation Guide

Bicton Accommodation Application Form 2018-19

Duchy College Accommodation Guide

Duchy Stoke Climsland +18 Accommodation Application

16-18 Residential Bursary Form



Under 18 Off Site Accommodation

Duchy College Stoke Climsland & Falmouth Marine School, have no on site accommodation for those under the age of 18, so this service puts students in touch with private providers who offer accommodation locally in their own homes as an information only service.

The college and the staff working at the college do not accept any responsibility for the quality or price of the accommodation offered. Students/parents choose their own accommodation from the lists which are sent to them, and students (and their parents) must ensure that the accommodation they book is of an acceptable standard before they move in.

Lists of accommodation providers are put onto the college website each year and updated regularly. Student accommodation is limited, and lists are sent out on a “first come, first served” basis.

Numbers of students applying each year varies, as does the accommodation available, and for this reason it is not possible to guarantee that every student who applies will find suitable accommodation. Once you have found a landlady that you are happy with, contact the relevant site’s transport department to apply for transport from your lodgings.

It is essential students make appointments to come to the area to view the accommodation they like the sound of having spoken to the owners. It is essential that you meet the owners and have a look before you agree to stay somewhere. It is advisable to phone and visit accommodation as soon as possible after receiving the lists to avoid disappointment.

When looking for accommodation it is important to bring enough money to pay the deposit so as to secure the accommodation. The accommodation provider will then let you know when you need to start paying for your accommodation.

If you are applying for funding to assist with payment, you must inform the provider. Also, be aware that any financial assistance you might receive may not cover the whole cost of your rent, and you are responsible for making sure that the shortfall is paid to the provider. The payments are made directly to the accommodation providers and there can be a delay in payments being made as we have to have confirmation of the students returning to college before payment can be processed. It will be up to the student/parent to cover the cost of accommodation until this payment is made. You will need to discuss this, along with the other rules of the house when you visit the accommodation provider.

If you are looking for accommodation after September then contact Maxine.Bentley@cornwall.ac.uk Vacancies do occasionally occur for different reasons during the year.

Tips on what to do next.

  • Talk to the landlord
  • Ask as many questions as you possibly can
  • Visit the accommodation (or several so you can compare)
  • Make sure you can abide by the house rules
  • Every landlord and offer is different and negotiable – make sure you are getting what you need

Make sure you feel happy with the landlord and in the house. You will be living there for a year.

Accommodation List

Lodger Agreement

2018-19 – 16-18 Residential Bursary Form


Suggested Notes to Aid Discussion

Residential Bursary

If you are studying a further education course, your daily return travelling time would be more than 2 hours and your household income is less than £40,000, you may be eligible for assistance with accommodation costs with a Residential Bursary. For more details please contact Jennifer Warren on 01395 562339.


Living in Cornwall

For anyone looking to move and study at any of our other campuses, we have an accommodation office to support you, whether you are looking for shared housing, local affordable rentals or host families. Please get in touch, whatever stage you are at in your application and talk to an advisor today.


Contact us

For all general enquiries, please contact our team via: living@cornwall.ac.uk

For university accommodation for Cornwall College, Falmouth Marine School, Duchy College Rosewarne, Eden Project, please contact Liz Hellier on 07500 572546 or visit the university accommodation Facebook page.


FE Accommodation Lists:

FE Accommodation Falmouth Marine School

University Accommodation Guide

TCCG University Accommodation Guide 2018-19

University Accommodation Lists:

University Accommodation Camborne-Rosewarne 08-02-19

University Accommodation Newquay 08-02-19

University Accommodation Falmouth 08-02-19

University Accommodation Eden 08-02-19

Got a room or house suitable for student rental?

We are looking for accommodation in Camborne, Falmouth, Newquay and St Austell areas for Higher Education students studying at degree level with the Cornwall College Group.  Do you have a spare room to rent out, a flat or house to rent or do you know anyone in this area who could provide accommodation for Higher Education students (18+)? You could rent a room under the Government’s ‘Rent a Room Scheme?’

Students study for 2 and 3 years and courses run from September to June.  Secure payments, deposits and references can be obtained.

If you are interested or know anyone else who might be able to help please contact: Liz Hellier, HE Accommodation Development Officer on 07500 572546 or email liz.hellier@cornwall.ac.uk